A request from Sam from the States has me posting this out of print
but wonderful album. Some fantastic artists, many whom
I have posted on before and a great follow up to the
Man in Black show that I saw a couple
of weekends ago
Where Joy Kills Sorrow has achieved a kind of legendary status.
It features Australian rock singers - famous, infamous and unknown,
singing country songs of the finest order (if a little obscure).
Tex (Greg) Perkins, Mick Harvey, Paul Kelly, Renee Geyer,
Dave Graney and Clare Moore, Matt Walker, Robert Forster,
Joel Silbersher, David McComb, Vika and Linda Bull, Uncle Bill,
Warren Ellis and his father John -
they all turn in amazing performances.
It's one of those CDs that has a life of its own and has been selling
steadily since its release in 1997 largely through word of mouth.
A slice of history as well as a great CD.
If you want to hear Warren Ellis from the Dirty Three sing
(!!) get this record.
01. Just A Little Bit Of Rain-Mick Harvey
02. When Your Tired Of Breaking Other Hearts-Joel Silbersher
03. I Scare Myself-Renee Geyer With Uncle Bill
04. Yellow Roses-Greg Perkins
05. The World's Got Everything In It-Uncle Bill
06. Mis'ry Is My Middle Name-Warren And John Ellis
07. The Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness-Robert Forster
08. Thanks A Lot-Paul Kelly With Uncle Bill
09. Duchess-Bruce Haymes
10. If You Don't Want My Love-Rob Snarski With Matt Walker
11. I'd Rather Be Sorry-Vika And Linda Bull
12. The Way You See Me-Chris Abrahams And Melanie Oxley
13. Still Alive And Well-David McComb
14. When I Dream-Matt Walker And Ashley Davies
15. This Is Forever-Dave Garney And Clare Moore